Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested in Epstein-Linked Misconduct in Public Office Probe, Released Under Investigation
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office as part of an investigation by Thames Valley Police into allegations linked to his past dealings with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, in an unprecedented development involving a senior member of Britain’s royal family.
Almost tweleve hours after his arrest, the authorities said they had released ex-Prince Andrew "under investigation."
| The probe centers on allegations he shared confidential material with Jeffrey Epstein; Via: Meidas Touch |
Photographs showed unmarked police vehicles and plainclothes officers at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, as well as searches at his former residence at Royal Lodge in Windsor. Mountbatten-Windsor was later released under investigation on Thursday evening. He was pictured being driven away from a police station shortly after 7pm (GMT), while searches at Royal Lodge continued.
In a written statement, Thames Valley Police said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said it was important to “protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence,” adding that police understood the “significant public interest” and would provide updates at the appropriate time.
The force said it would not name the arrested man in line with national guidance and cautioned that the case is active and publications should avoid contempt of court.
The National Police Chiefs’ Council said the Home Office was alerted 30 minutes before the arrest “in line with routine practice.” It is understood that neither King Charles III nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance.
The investigation relates to allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor shared sensitive information with Epstein while serving as a UK trade envoy. The allegations stem from documents released by the U.S. Justice Department concerning Epstein’s links to prominent figures.
Emails published in those disclosures appeared to show Mountbatten-Windsor sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore. Another email appeared to send Epstein a confidential brief regarding investment opportunities tied to reconstruction efforts in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and previous accusations, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
The Crown Prosecution Service said its lawyers have spoken with Thames Valley Police detectives investigating the king’s brother but have not yet provided formal early investigative advice.
King Charles III issued a statement saying he had learned “with the deepest concern” of the news regarding his younger brother and the suspicion of misconduct in public office. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he said.
The king added that authorities would have his “full and wholehearted support and cooperation,” and stated: “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” He declined further comment while attending a London Fashion Week event. Prince William and Catherine are understood to support the king’s remarks.
Earlier in the month, on February 9, Buckingham Palace had said it stood ready to cooperate if approached by police, stating: “While the specific claims in question are for Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer, speaking on BBC Breakfast hours before news of the arrest broke, said: “One of the core principles in our system is that everybody is equal under the law, and nobody is above the law.”
The family of Virginia Giuffre, who accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexually abusing her when she was 17 as part of a trafficking ring run by Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, welcomed the arrest. In a statement to U.S. media, Giuffre’s siblings said: “At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.”
They thanked Thames Valley Police for their investigation. Maria Farmer, who has described herself as the first known survivor to report Epstein and Maxwell to law enforcement, said the arrest marked “just the beginning of accountability and justice” and called for further consequences for those in positions of power.
Giuffre, who reached an out-of-court settlement with Mountbatten-Windsor in March 2022, died by suicide last April. Her book, published posthumously, alleged three sexual encounters with him. He has denied those allegations.
U.S. President Donald Trump, speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, described the arrest as “a shame” and “a very sad thing,” saying it was “so bad for the Royal family.” Trump said King Charles, who is “obviously coming to our country very soon,” was “a fantastic man.”
He added: “It’s really interesting because nobody used to speak about Epstein when he was alive, but now they speak.” Trump said he had been “totally exonerated” and had “did nothing” in relation to Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the late Queen Elizabeth II’s second son, was stripped last year of his prince title and dukedom and is now formally known by his family name. He remains eighth in line to the throne.
Misconduct in public office in the United Kingdom is a common law offence, established through legal precedent rather than statute. Police have previously said the nature of the offence makes investigations particularly complex.
Arrests of senior members of Britain’s royal family have not occurred in the modern era, making Thursday’s development exceptional in contemporary British law enforcement, though the country’s longer monarchical history includes episodes of detention and execution involving royal figures.
Thames Valley Police said it would not hold a press conference or conduct interviews at this stage. The investigation remains ongoing.